Cashier Mill is located only a short distance east of Harrisburg, California. The Eureka Mine that fed the mill was opened in 1905 by Shorty Harris and Pete Aguereberry. Pete continued to mine here for 40 years producing $170,000 in gold. His abandoned home and cars still exist at Aguereberry Camp, the only remains of Harrisburg.
The mill was powered by gasoline engines. The mill site and surrounding mines were originally part of Short Harris’ claim which he sold to the Cashiers Mining Company. Pete later bought the mill adding to the seven claims he owned in death valley.
The mill’s wood structure still stands but all of the stamps, cams and other pieces have been removed. There is a sealed incline shaft on the hill above the mill.
The Eureka Mine is located only a short distance east of Harrisburg, California. The oar car tracks that enter the mine can be seen in the photo above as well as from Google Earth.
The mine entrance is open to adventurous explorers in the summer but closed during the winter to prevent disturbing the Townsend Big Eared Bats that call the mine their winter home. During our visit in 2014 the bat gate was locked closed.