Opened as the Rancheria Mine in 1853 and renamed the South Mayflower Mine in 1893. In 1899 it became the Bunker Hill Consolidated Mine and operated until 1922 to a depth of 3440′. The mine produced over 250,000 ounces of gold with ore bodies remaining at closure.
A marker with the name “Tina Ray Foligno” sets at the entrance creating an eerie feeling as we walked up to the mine. The three compartment shaft collar is crudely covered with fencing making for a great look down the shaft into what looks like infinite darkness. The kids had a blast dropping rocks and listening to their clanking off the shaft walls as it faded into the depths. Surrounding the headframe are an assortment of foundations from long gone workings,
On July 28th, 1999 Tina Ray Foligno was a 40 year old mother of four who set off to her boyfriend Jack Sackrider’s house to break up with him. Jack beat her to death and drove her body to the Bunker Hill Mine where he dumped her body down the shaft. The body was later found lodged at the 250′ level. Jack is currently serving 15 years to life in Avenal State Prison.