William Bodie discovered gold here in 1859 and a mill constructed in 1861. By 1880 10,000 people lived in Bodie. It had 2000 buildings and 65 saloons. By 1914 the Standard Mill closed. A fire destroyed much of the town in 1932. Some mining continued until 1942 when WWII efforts made gold mining illegal. The town was looted and vandelized until it became a state park in 1962 when there were still 170 buildings. Today the state keeps Bodie’s 110 structures in a ‘state of arrested decay’. Bodie is closed in the winter due to snowfall.
One review on “Bodie State Park”
Bodie is an all time favorite. The king of all the ghost towns without a doubt. We have been back several times and love the mill tour. Well worth the long drive!