Murphys was originally known as Murphys Camp, named after brothers John and Daniel who began placer mining in the area in 1848. Claims were limited to 8 sq/ft and miners still managed to get rich. The brothers gave up on mining and got rich as merchants. The town was destroyed three times by flames, in 1859, 1874, and 1893. After the second fire very little gold remained and the once boom town was never rebuilt to its previous status. The Murphys Hotel built in 1856 of stone with iron shutters survived the fires and still caters to guest today.